about - the long version


About me My name is Mari Nakamura. Thanks for stopping by!

I was born in Hawaii, but ours was a military family, so I also grew up in Oklahoma, Texas, Germany, Hawaii (again), and New Mexico. From this nomadic childhood I gained an appreciation--or at least a non-aversion--for living in a variety of places. I went to school in California (B.S. in biological sciences), New Mexico (M.A. in English), and Missouri (M.D.), and I completed post-graduate training in Tennessee and California. I finally moved to Boston in 2006 to pursue a research fellowship and an M.P.H.

As you've maybe guessed, I love school, but by 2009, even I concluded that at some point, one must finish training and find a Real Job. I was fortunate enough to (eventually) find a great position right here in Boston, and so I happily stayed put. (I'd also concluded that at some point, one must settle down.) I'm delighted to have a city that I can now call my city, one whose nooks and sweet spots I can gradually explore.

I'm a pediatrician, specializing in infectious diseases, and a researcher, specializing in health information technology. I'm lucky because my job includes opportunities to see patients and interact with families, to ask intriguing questions and try to figure out the answers, and to never stop learning. As one of my best and dearest mentors once said, it's a privilege to be paid to think.

I live on the third floor of an old, picturesque Victorian house with my two kitties, Isabel and Maisie. When I'm not napping with the girls, I enjoy reading voraciously, running, baking, volunteering at the local animal shelter, and writing this blog. I also love playing the piano (but, sadly, have neither a piano of my own nor a living room large enough to accommodate one). In the fall of 2007, I began taking adult ballet classes, which are both very funny--given my intrinsic lack of balance--and very fun.


About what maisie knows Do you sometimes experience random thoughts as you go about your day, ones you'd like to share but for which you don't have an immediate audience? I do, and that's one reason I started writing this blog, in May 2009.

Beyond finding a platform for stray, not necessarily important insights (hence the original blog name, incidentals), I had a couple of other motivations, as well. I hoped the blog could serve as a journal and electronic scrapbook since I'm terrible about maintaining print versions of these. I also love to write, but the scientific writing that I do for work is often dry and impersonal, affording little opportunity for creative expression. I craved a low-key medium in which I could write for fun.

I began the blog as an experiment, unsure if I'd find it a lark or a chore. It turns out, I adore blogging. I've found all of the above hopes for the blog fulfilled. Writing it is pure pleasure, an activity in which I easily lose myself (often for longer than intended).

The blog also has unanticipated benefits. I find myself observing the events of the day and details of my surroundings with greater acuity and reflection as I seek stories, ideas, or images to share. I take many more photos (while before I was the person who never thought to bring a camera, now I take it with me everywhere). I've come to regard all writing, even the more challenging, serious stuff at work, as less intimidating and easier to begin because my brain and muscles are better attuned to writing's rhythms and routines. I've also experienced the thrill of having people actually read the blog. Few things delight me as much as discovering and reading comments (hint, hint).

During the first few days of 2010, in a New-Year's-derived burst of inspiration, I revamped the blog substantially. The changes included a new name, what maisie knows, explained below.

faqs
1. If you, not Maisie, write this blog, why is it called what maisie knows?
Excellent question! I discovered a novel by Henry James called What Maisie Knew and was intrigued since I have a Maisie of my own. As I reflected on the book title, I realized how appropriate it would be as the inspiration for my blog title.

This blog seeks to explore the ingredients of a good life, dealing with such themes as awareness of beauty in everyday things; connection with family and friends; the importance of creature comforts; the enrichment of new ideas and experiences; and balance--between work and home, gravity and frivolity, thought and action. Ever since meeting my Maisie in November 2008, I've observed how well she knows how to live. (You can read about how we found each other and more about her personality here.) She's relaxed yet passionate, gentle yet playful, fearless yet wise. She possesses a number of characteristics, attitudes, and behaviors that I try to emulate. I suspect that many insights I struggle toward through conscious effort are intrinsic to her, already part of what Maisie knows.

2. Have you read What Maisie Knew?
Not yet, but it's on my To Be Read list. According to the Wikipedia synopsis, the heroine is independent, observant, and smart, not unlike my Maisie.

3. What about Isabel? Doesn't she feel left out? Aren't you showing favoritism?
I'm certain that Isabel is happy to let Maisie have the spotlight. Izzy is highly introverted and a one-person cat, and the last thing she'd enjoy is being out in blogland, meeting new people. We are quite alike in many ways: shy, careful, tidy, reserved. Still, I do have plenty to learn from Izzy, including how to be brave and let curiosity override fear in new situations. (You can read more about Izzy here.)

Izzy, who is much more a lap cat than Maisie, has spent hours perusing other blogs with me, and so she did ask to share her favorite blogs and other links.

4. Are you one of those crazy cat people?
Oh, yes. I didn't discover this until the age of 25 when I adopted Isabel, but once I fell, I fell hard. If you're one of those people who detests cats, you've probably not even made it this far . . . and you definitely wouldn't like this blog. But even if you don't love cats, no worries. You'll find cute cat stories, but I write about many other subjects, too.